This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
Geli is hiring a senior software engineer to work in conjunction with our Data Science team. In this position, you will develop the core services that deliver the critical algorithms for managing large-scale fleets of distributed energy resources. Data science is at the core of Geli’s products, so this position will give you plenty of opportunities to learn about and contribute to our platform.
- Architect and develop software that implements and runs critical optimization and ML algorithms at scale.
- Collaborate with Data Scientists and DevOps to design, develop, and deploy software services into production.
- Develop software that calculates metrics related to energy applications and evaluates algorithm performance using streaming equipment telemetry data. Examples include electric bills, demand response baselines, and revenues, wholesale energy market revenues.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Energy Analytics Engineers, and Data Scientists to understand and implement new requirements into our runtime platform, increasing usability and improving scalability.
- A solid foundation in computer science and software engineering principles.
- 7+ years of experience developing Python (3.9+) code in a production environment, including experience with CI+CD, unit testing, complex team projects in Git, and managing virtual environments.
- Experience querying and designing databases for structured data.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels and teams at Geli.
- Willingness to learn and adapt in the rapidly growing energy industry.
- Experience with cloud and IoT technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, microservices, message-passing architectures, and REST APIs.
- Database and data management technologies: PostgreSQL, Django ORM, Cassandra, Timescale DB, Redis, S3.
- Monitoring and Alerting technologies.
- Experience with Python libraries for numerical methods and time series data (NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, DateTime).
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources (PV, storage, EVs), their applications, and renewable energy.
- Familiarity with machine learning and optimization algorithms and concepts.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Conveniently accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by the position and job duties
Cigna and Kaiser options - available by region
Cigna Dental (including orthodontic coverage) and vision plans, both have options with a $0 paycheck contribution
Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Company Paid (Health Savings Account) HSA Contribution when enrolled in the High Deductible Cigna medical plan
Company-paid Basic Life, AD&D, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
Voluntary benefits include: critical illness, hospital indemnity, accident insurance
401(k) with a 4% employer match
3 weeks of paid Parental Leave
Sick time- 72 hours frontloaded per calendar year
Vacation time (Flex time), and 13 Paid Holidays
Health Advocate wellness and concierge services
Wellness programs with our benefits providers
Bereavement leave- 5 paid days
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact on the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, and projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.