SSSC is looking for a communications coordinator with exceptional communications and writing skills. You should have great interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to multitask and adapt in a vibrant and fast paced environment.
The communications coordinator will work to connect Sitka Sound Science Center with strategic audiences including businesses, researchers, visitors, community partners and the science curious. You will work with a team of creative, energetic and passionate researchers and educators to expand and diversify Sitka Sound Science Center’s reach through newsletters, social media, public outreach campaigns, blog posts, web support and more. We are looking for a strategic thinker who can see the big picture while paying close attention to the fine details. A successful communications manager should be innovative, organized, have strong writing skills and self-motivated with a keen interest in science and communication. Duties & Responsibilities
1. Develop and implement an annual communications strategy that includes public outreach, social media content and membership engagement.
2. Work closely with research, education, and business staff to gather stories and content that demonstrate the value of science research and science education, while aligning with SSSC’s mission.
3. Maintain the marketing, promotion and advertising budget.
4. Assist in branding, partnerships, and business development through the visitor industry.
5. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of public outreach campaigns and activities with the team.
6. Plan and implement fundraising strategies and donor development.
7. Utilize existing methods and develop new channels to promote events.
8. Manage membership programs.
9. Work collaboratively with staff to streamline internal communications; develop and support efforts to effectively organize and archive information;
10. Coordinate with a team to execute a promotional plan leading up to and during annual community engagement events.
11. Stay up to date on social media trends and lead weekly social media meetings.
12. Utilize existing methods and develop new channels to promote events.
Skills & Abilities
1. You are skilled at planning, anticipating needs, and thinking several steps ahead.
2. You deliberately think about ways to reach multiple user groups.
3. You’re innovative.
4. Your marketing techniques continue to evolve and align with current trends.
5. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills that show in your written and verbal interactions.
6. You’re a supportive and dependable team member who prefers collaboration.
7. You are flexible and responsive.
8. You have a creative and strategic mindset.
9. You have at least 2 years of experience in communications, marketing, PR, storytelling, or journalism work
The Sitka Sound Science Center is a non-profit dedicated to scientific research and science education relevant to our community, region, and state. SSSC strives to create a supportive and fun work environment with flexible work schedules and significant leave benefits to allow our employees a great work/life balance and opportunities to get out and play.
Sitka Sound Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
Please send a resume, cover letter, portfolio of work, and two professional references to email@example.com
Position will be open until filled.