Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals.
As Payroll & HR Manager, you are the main People Operations point of contact for customer support and field operations team members in Germany. Your responsibilities will span onboarding, payroll, leave management, advising team leaders, sharing your knowledge of labour laws and general HR administration. You will help scale processes and optimize all stages of the employee journey. Your work will ultimately enable Via to scale and deploy new mobility services benefiting local communities.
You will be embedded in our Operations team in Berlin, and work closely with our European People team in Amsterdam.
What You'll Do:
- Act as the main People team point of contact and a sounding board for our Operations team in Berlin for all matters related to labour law and HR topics
- Prepare the monthly payroll for our hourly employees in collaboration with our Payroll Manager, and answer employee questions about pay
- Manage HR processes including leave management, health insurance contributions, social security audits, offboarding and certificate of employments
- Support team growth by collaborating on recruitment efforts, e.g. brainstorming attraction and sourcing strategies, interview coordination, candidate evaluation and offer logistics
- Recommend, implement and champion company policies
- Monitor and improve internal HR systems and databases, making sure our documents are always organized and up-to-date and that we implement scalable processes
Who You Are:
- Native level of German and advanced English
- 2+ years’ HR / People Operations experience in the German market, with knowledge of labour laws and regulations
- Familiarity with Excel / Google Sheets and willingness to explore advanced functions to optimize the payroll preparation process; experience with payroll preparation is a plus
- A strong reflex for action: you are proactive, identify gaps in process, and propose solutions with an excitement to own implementation and feedback iteration
- A growth mindset and ability to adapt to an ever-changing and growing global organization.
- Deeply empathetic: you naturally build rapport with others, balance individual’s needs with business needs, and are viewed as a go-to resource in employee relations conversations
- Active desire to spend time in our Berlin office, ideally at least two days per week
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.