Kula Bio is a leader in sustainable nitrogen solutions, helping farmers improve crop yield and reduce environmental impact. If you are motivated by progress through sustainable agriculture, and seek a collaborative and supportive environment, this may be the job for you.
As part of the Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) group at Kula Bio, you will contribute to our mission by developing or improving fermentation processes in-house as well as performing fermentation campaigns. In this role, you will manage the entire fermentation process including setting up, operating, maintaining, monitoring, and reporting on progress. On a regular day, you will prepare fermentation medium and fermenter inoculations, take samples for QA/QC analysis, follow standard operating procedures (SOP) to clean and maintain fermentation and media vessels. You will ensure accuracy and safety in handling and measuring chemicals and cleaning aids for CIP Sanitize and Steam Sanitation (SIP) equipment. In addition, you will assist, work closely with Quality Team for timely processing of samples and follow-up, author or participate in risk assessments and process validation, and assist with product packaging.
To thrive in this role, you understand the fundamentals of scale-up and scale down and have experience with bioreactor set-up and commissioning. You have a pioneering attitude, capable of wearing multiple hats to get the job done as part of a highly collaborative and dynamic start-up team. You are able to interpret key fermentation process indicators and communicate technical concepts. You are proactive and have the ability to work autonomously, but enjoy helping others learn and have an interest in team leadership.
- BA/BS in chemical engineering, biological / biomedical engineering, Microbiology or other related fields, or equivalent years of industry experience.
- 2-4 years of industry experience operating 1L-100L fermenters.
- Proficiency and experience working with aerobic, microaerophilic and anaerobic bacteria fermentation process including batch and fed-batch fermentation as well as cell separation.
- Prior experience cultivating plant/soil bacterial microbes and statistical methods.
- Adept at operating benchtop bioreactors, equipment maintenance, and prior experience using control software such as Eppendorf, Sartorius, Applikon or similar systems is a must.
- Working knowledge of processing equipment, including pneumatic valves, pumps and clarifiers/separators and working knowledge of manufacturing plant instrumental devices.
- This position may require occasional weekend and evening work
- This position requires the ability to sit, talk, and hear; occasionally walk and stand; regularly use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; constantly reach with hands and arms; occasionally lift and/or moves up to 50 pounds; regularly use close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and adjust focus
- Work in the manufacturing plant may require hearing protection
- Working in the manufacturing plant will require the use of PPE
$80,000 - $90,000