About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
We are seeking a proactive, personable and tech-savvy individual who has, at a minimum, three years of experience in commercial enterprise(s) in an administrative role or in marketing/sales, finance/business office, HR, IT, operations or strategy. The role involves a combination of ongoing administrative support tasks and as-needed discrete projects that improve the productivity or effectiveness of the two co-founders. Depending on the skills and experiences of the selected candidate, the company and candidate may agree to augment the role in ways that play to the candidate’s strengths.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Liaising with the Blue Ocean Barns team, investors and partners as directed by co-founders
- Managing general inquiries from the public, media requests and cold-call emails from potential customers, job applicants, distributors, government agencies (US and abroad), etc. Handling straightforward responses and escalating important emails to co-founders
- Assisting with the development of board, investor, customer and regulator presentations in Google Slides, some of which may require graphing of data.
- Executing occasional short-term projects that help one of the co-founders, such as Internet research, calls to suppliers, shipping of items, taking photographs, chaperoning visitors to the facility, booking meetings, travel and accommodations, etc.
For the CEO specifically
- Managing a to-do list using Notion
- Reading, organizing and managing email, drafting responses as comfort level grows and patterns become clear
- Managing Google folders and drives used by the CEO
- Scheduling meetings and supporting the CEO’s use of Calendy for calendar management
- Serving as primary point of contact and coordinator regarding office/facilities-related issues such as internet service outages and repair requests.
- Drafting and distributing various company documents including biennial Public Benefit Report
- Over time, acting as knowledge hub of the Executive Office, assistant company team members with a variety of questions and tasks, including connecting them with appropriate resources and elevating their request to co-founders as needed
- Over time, acting as company’s primary liaison with various community organizations including industry groups, NELHA, Hawai’i Aquaculture Collaborative
Required Skills and Attributes:
- The ideal candidate is driven to contribute to a mission-focused startup that will significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The Coordinator wants to be useful and to improve the functioning of the co-founders as they build a climate-healing business. When there is a barrier to a co-founder’s’ success, the co-founder will give the problem to the Coordinator. It’s the Coordinator’s until it is solved, the sooner the better. They’re not just trying to provide suggestions on how the co-founder might solve it. By virtue of serving in this role, they are happy to own it until the co-founder is no longer burdened with the problem. The candidate may already be advancing a career as an executive assistant or office manager; alternatively the candidate may be a professional seeking to further develop as a leader in marketing/sales, finance, HR, IT, operations or strategy. The candidate demonstrates or possesses:
- Flexibility, adaptability and humility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Penchant to take initiative, solve problems, and drive tasks to completion, keeping the co-founders informed as necessary
- Aptitude and facility with standard software and apps (e.g., Google suite, Zoom) and ability to quickly master company-specific software such as Notion, Lever and Expensify
- Organizational skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage multiple timelines at once
- Discretion and trustworthiness, as he/she/they often is a party to confidential information
- Kindness, tact and diplomacy
- Familiarity with the business culture of Hawaii
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.