unspun is a robotics and digital apparel company building custom jeans for each consumer, on demand. Our mission is to reduce global carbon emissions by 1% through automated, localized, and intentional manufacturing.
We are looking for an Engineering Intern to join our team for a 2-3 month contract starting early May, at our new microfactory in Emeryville. In this role, you will help us build our next generation prototype looms. We’re looking for someone who is excited about joining a Series-A startup.
What We’re Building:
We’ve developed a proprietary and patent-pending technology at the crossroads of 3D printing and automated textile manufacturing. By skipping the flat 2D fabric stage, we can additively build custom apparel products from the ground up- straight from yarn to final product. If 3D printing, industrial automation, and synchronized systems of thousands of actuators gets you excited, we’d love to talk!
You are excited to learn more about how a series A startup works and how early-stage mechanical builds happen. You would enjoy a full-time hands-on role getting your hands dirty helping us to build and bring-up our looms. You would work side-by-side with our engineers and technicians threading yarns into our looms to bring them online and building electro-mechanical assemblies. You should be detail oriented with the ability to sustain focus over long periods of time on repetitive tasks.
- Routing yarn into our loom for initial bring-up
- Building electro-mechanical assemblies
- Support for prototype testing and integration
- Inspection and QC of yarn routing
- Learning basic textile manufacturing machinery operation
- Working from verbal instruction, written guides, and drawings
- Pursuing a degree in Engineering or related discipline
- Experience in assembly and/or building
- Good sustained attention to detail
- Excellent hand dexterity
- Ability to work in awkward and tight areas
- Experience interpreting engineering drawings and schematics
- Strong organizational skills
- US citizenship or ability to work as a W2 employee
- English verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with textiles, weaving yarn, thread
- Experience working on fast-paced early stage R&D projects
Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our teammates and their families. As such, unspun requires all on-site employees to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
Duration: 2-3 months, ideally starting in May
Shift: 9AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday