At SPAN, we are building products to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. As more distributed energy resources like solar and storage come onto the grid, it’s increasingly important to be able to improve the technology that sits between the grid, the home, and those distributed energy resources. Span’s smart panel replaces the electrical panel to become the center for connected power in the home. With Span, homeowners receive all the safety features of a standard panel with revolutionary insights and edge-of-grid controls through our mobile app.
We are looking for an experienced Controller to manage our growing Accounting team and partner with the executive management team. You are a proven leader who is focused on driving key business insights, achieving operational excellence, and maintaining a strong controls environment.
- Maintain the general ledger including cash, accounts receivable (AR), inventory, prepaids, fixed assets, accounts payable (AP), accrued expenses, and equity
- Manage the month-end/year-end close process including the review of journal entries and account reconciliations
- Responsible for the production of timely and accurate financial statements (monthly, quarterly, annually) in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Partner with Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) to support variance analysis and management reporting
- Supervise the AR function, assess customer credit requests, manage receivables aging, and drive collections
- Oversee the AP function, drive favorable payment terms with vendors, manage payables aging, and ensure expenditures are captured in the correct accounting period
- Manage the payroll process
- Analyze sales tax and income tax compliance, and coordinate with outside accounting firms to complete periodic tax filings
- Responsible for designing and managing the control environment. Maintain reliable internal controls over cash, inventory, revenue and expenses
- Oversee independent audit process with appointed CPA firm
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Supervise cash management functions and bank reconciliations
- Maintain and update the chart of accounts as necessary
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database and make changes as needed
- 7+ years of progressive accounting experience.
- Active CPA or equivalent required.
- Strong knowledge and leadership of accounting operations.
- Experience with operating a robust accounting system (e.g. Netsuite, Oracle, Sage Intact, SAP, etc.)
- Familiarity with technical accounting topics including:
- ASC 480 - Distinguishing Liabilities from Equity
- ASC 606 - Revenue Recognition
- ASC 718 - Stock Based Compensation
- ASC 740 - Income Taxes
- ASC 805 - Business Combinations
- ASC 842 - Leases
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a small high performing professional accounting team
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making
- Experienced business partner, skilled in building trust and inspiring others while ramping up in a new business and role in a complex environment
- Excellent knowledge and proven track record in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls
- Excitement around navigating a hyper-growth, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Prior experience working at a Big 4 firm
- Experience with implementing an accounting system (e.g. Netsuite, Oracle, Sage Intact, SAP, etc.)
- Experience working in a manufacturing company
- Experience with intercompany transactions and consolidations
- Familiar with foreign exchange (FX) accounting
- Experience with Bill.com, Expensify and Navan
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Interested in joining our team? Submit an application today and we’ll be in touch with next steps!