UtilityAPI is a mission-driven software company fighting climate change by providing data access services for the clean energy transition.
UtilityAPI’s product suite makes it easy for utility customers to access and share the data needed to deploy clean energy. Our automated software service reliably shortens sales cycles, lowers customer acquisition costs, accelerates the adoption of clean technology - all of which lower GHG emissions. In short, we are making software to fight climate change.
We raised a Series A in 2022 and are excited to be investing in our growth this year. We are a company committed to advancing equity in the clean energy sector, and building a team that looks like America. Our CEO founded the Empowering Diverse Climate Talent (EDICT) program and our leadership team reflects a broad range of experiences, identities, and backgrounds.
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented and underestimated in tech. We look forward to reviewing all applications from any interested candidate, even if you do not meet all the listed requirements. UtilityAPI is committed to an inclusive workplace that values non-traditional work histories.
About The Role
We are adding a manager to lead our Application Support team. Reporting to a senior Engineering manager, this new role’s primary responsibility is to oversee the team dedicated to systems monitoring, partnering with customer support to resolve customer issues, and performing code maintenance on our data collection and parsing tools. This team is expected to scale from 5 to 20 application support engineers by the end of next year.
We have created a culture of open communication and psychological safety, and are committed to maintaining our positive/productive working environment as we grow. Asking questions, engaging in challenging technical discussions, perpetuating feedback loops are all pillars of how our team communicates and the technical leadership team is collectively responsible for protecting this aspect of our culture.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with Customer Support, Product, Engineering and other stakeholders to design and implement an effective process for triaging, assigning, escalating and resolving customer issues in an accurate and timely fashion
- Act as a technical and customer support mentor to the engineers on your team; help the team adhere to a set of best practices for resolving customer issues
- Translate customer needs and advocate internally for design and technical solutions that help our customers best leverage our platform; support engineers in seeing through the lens of our users
- Hire, onboard, retain, and develop the team; guide individual contributors along their career paths, and ensure that direct reports receive consistent and supportive performance feedback
What We’re Looking For
- 2+ years managing customer-facing, customer support, or IT support / help-desk teams, including hiring and mentoring experience in a distributed/remote setting
- Previous experience working in a technical or tech-adjacent support role
- Previous experience (could be self-directed projects or a coding bootcamp) with Python, including solid understanding of regular expressions
- Solutions forward mindset; genuine affinity for following through and resolving customer issues
- Sees problems as opportunities to delight our customers through transparent, positive, and consistent communication
- Proficiency with internal tools and systems that support the working remotely element of this role possible: Google Suite, Slack, Gitlab, Jira
Nice To Have Though Not Required
- Experience with Python 3 and Django
- Prior work experience in the climate/energy sector
- Base salary $95,000-$115,000
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance:
- Medical premium covered at 99% for employee, 75% for dependents
- Dental premium covered at 100% for employee, 75% for dependents
- Vision premium covered at 90% for employee, 50% for dependents
- Unlimited PTO
- Stock options
- 401k with 3% employer match for up to 6% of employee salary
- Home office setup stipend upon joining the team (up to $600)
- Extra Mile Benefit: Travel one time annually to any city in the US where another employee lives, UtilityAPI pays for airfare, a night of lodging, and a meal to share with a coworker
UtilityAPI is a fully remote company. We work from anywhere within the United States and typically during the hours of 9:00-5:00 no matter the timezone. This is also flexible, as we trust our teammates to self-define their schedules in order to get the job done in a way that works best for them.
At this time, we are only hiring candidates who reside in the United States and are either a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or the holder of a non-expiring visa that doesn't require sponsorship.