Twelve is a new kind of chemical company built for the climate era. Our breakthrough technology eliminates emissions by turning CO2 into essential products. We are a team of scientists, engineers and problem solvers on a mission to fundamentally shift the way the world addresses climate change and lead the transition to a fossil free future with our carbon transformation technology.
Twelve is seeking a highly motivated Staff Controls Engineer to join our Software Engineering Team. You will build automated systems for CO2 conversion and manufacturing of key system components. This role requires a hands-on approach from someone who thrives on ambiguity in a fast-paced startup environment.
This is a full-time position based in Berkeley, CA with the ability to work remotely 1-2 days a week.
What you will do
- Work in a multidisciplinary team to design systems for automating continuous chemical processes and discrete manufacturing.
- Develop reliable, performant, and reusable PLC software in structured text and ladder logic and HMI screens for PLC systems.
- Configure and bring up control system components and commission automated systems to support handover to operations.
- Troubleshoot and repair instrumentation and control system components.
- Interpret P&IDs, electrical diagrams, and control narratives to architect control system hardware and software.
- Guide control panel design and selection of sensors, I/O, and other controls hardware to fit project requirements.
- Coordinate with external design-build partners by developing specifications, reviewing deliverables, and managing timelines.
- Document assembly, operating, and test procedures for new equipment and systems.
Who you are
- You have exceptional organizational and communication skills, are adept at prioritizing tasks and summarizing complex topics.
- You have 4+ years of experience designing, selecting, programming, and deploying PLC-based control systems and HMIs for continuous process and/or discrete manufacturing.
- You are proficient in configuring and writing software for Allen-Bradley PLCs, and at least one other type of PLC.
- You are able to drive projects from initial concept to completion with minimal oversight.
- You are able to interpret engineering diagrams including P&IDs and electrical schematics and translate them into control system requirements.
- You have participated in HAZOP for past projects, and have a strong understanding of how to create safe and reliable systems.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
We believe that the unique contributions of each individual is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.