Hanwha Q CELLS USA Corp (“HQC US”) develops, invests, and delivers solar photovoltaic (PV) and battery energy storage systems (BESS) projects through Engineering, Procurement, Construction (EPC) services in North America.
The company brings a decade of global leadership in solar PV to deliver utility-scale power generation plants customized for local and regional energy markets. HQC US offers the full spectrum of PV solutions – from the core technology of cells and modules to large-scale project development and investment. With proven capabilities across the solar and battery storage value chain, HQC US minimizes uncertainty and risk and helps customers achieve a higher return on their investment in renewable energy.
The Engineering Designer is critical to communicating engineering plans, design and intent through the department’s design documents. This person is key to ensuring our products and projects are well-documented and understood by our clients, partners, and other stakeholders. The successful candidate will bring experience not just in drafting, but also design and the creation and implementation of drafting and design standards.
This position reports to the Director of ESS Engineering, or another management personnel that the President/Senior Vice President of the Company may designate. This position is located in Irvine, CA, or remotely, and working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm or 9:00am to 6:00pm local time (with 1 hour unpaid lunch). This position is expected to travel up to 30%.
- Create and maintain product and project drawing packages and documentation for company products
- Including 2-D plan, Elevation and Section views
- Foundation plans and details
- Grounding plans and details
- Raceway design
- Single Line and Protection/Control Diagrams
- Network architecture and SCADA/Communications drawings
- Panel Front Views
- Wiring diagrams and cable lists
- Bill of Material lists
- Details and Callouts
- Other documents as required
- Support overflow CAD workload from other Qcells departments on an as-needed and as-available basis;
- Assist in development of CAD and drawing standards and development of company and department block library and template drawings;
- Maintain well organized documents and AutoCAD library that meet the company’s drafting and design standards;
- Collaborate and assist in implementing new software as required;
- Provide CAD expertise to the engineering team;
- Assist Project Management and Engineering to assure quality execution according to schedule;
- In collaboration with other team members, contribute to the completion of proposals to design and deliver projects;
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvements in designs, plans, processes and product development;
- Assist with technical training to other team members and new employees;
- Collaborate with team members when necessary to ensure effective communication and results;
- Review and analyze customer and other partner‘s provided documents for design consideration;
- Assist engineering in preparation of bid packages for subcontractors including scope of work, schedule, project description, and conceptual design;
- Assist in preparation of proposals and;
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Associates degree in Drafting and Design from an Accredited Institution preferred. High School diploma/Drafting certificate with additional experience may be considered.
- Years of Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of professional design experience, with preference given to experience in energy storage, substation, or solar industries.
- Experience with 2D drafting platform Required – AutoCAD strongly preferred.
- Experience with 3D design tools such as SolidWorks, Revit, or Inventor preferred.
- Microsoft Office Suite competency required.
- Previous experience in a design, engineering, or construction firm preferred.
The above-listed salary range is required by the California Pay Transparency Act and may differ depending on the location of those candidates hired nationwide. The salary range shared in the job description is for the listed position and only pertains to the candidate if they work in Irvine, CA. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to internal pay equity, skill set, education, licenses and certifications, geographic location, essential job duties and requirements, and the necessary experience relative to the job’s minimum qualifications. An additional discretionary bonus structure or incentives may be offered as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, dental, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
· Stationary Position: frequently remains stationary up to 90% of the time and sitting up to 8 hours in a day
· Move/Traverse: infrequently bend, stand, stoop and/or walk
· Carry Weight: infrequently carry weight and/or lift objects (light to heavy) weighing up to 10 pounds
· Hearing and Speech: frequently communicates with the ability to hear and talk on a regular basis with employees, coworkers, and all personnel matters; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
· Sight: frequent use of sight to detect images on computer, office documents, and office objects near and far
· Climb: occasionally ascends/descends on stairway to get to office upper and lower floors
· Travel: review above travel requirement for this position
· Regular professional, office business setting
· Noise level ranges from low to moderate (if in office setting)
· Noise level ranges from moderate to high (if on construction worksite)
Hanwha Q Cells is proud to be an at-will Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status and any other classification protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this statement shall imply implicitly or explicitly a guarantee of employment outside our at-will employment opportunity.