ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world's largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6-seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2023. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate. Commercializing the solution requires the establishment of a new clean aviation ecosystem, encompassing hydrogen production from renewable energy sources and tackling public perception of safety.
- Responsible for motor control and monitoring algorithms and models (PMSM machines)
- Responsible for requirement capturing and motor control architecture design
- Responsible for creating multi design optimisation algorithm including all the systems
- Develop motor control with sensor and sensorless control (Kalman, flux observer, sliding mode, Resolver, Encoder , Effect hall sensors)
- Create and implement the Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) test bench using a real-time simulator for power electronics, interfaces and sensors
- Integrate and debug motion control models, including inverters, fuel cell and motors, cooling systems, sensors, and systems controllers
- Create test plans, procedures and reports following the standards for hardware and motor control software validation
- Set up the rapid prototype design and verification using RCP/Embedded code
- Support motor control and system in aircraft, troubleshooting, debugging
- Set up the dyno, back to back test rig, and support Ironbird control testing
- Support software integration by engineering embedded code and embedded firmware, and performing hardware-software integration.
- Support High Level software integration with Low Level software
- Hands on and support cross teams : Hardware and system team / Test team and aircraft integration
Experience and Qualifications:
Master’s degree in control system, electrical engineering or foreign equivalent
5 years of experience with motor control, software, hardware/software in the loop, Dyno, qualification, integration, and calibration, including 2 years of experience with the following:
- Motor control algorithm for PSM motor/generator: torque and speed control
- Experienced in developing motor control with sensor and sensorless control (Kalman, flux observer, sliding mode, Resolver, Encoder , Effect hall sensors)
- Excellent knowledge of motor modelling, design and verification: Electromagnetic , thermal and electrical modelization
- Experience with power electronics Inverters/Converters and electrical systems
- Excellent capability/ability to standardize control and monitoring algorithm
- Excellent knowledge of software models and hand-coding
- Excellent and versatile capability to run Dyno and back-to-back motor
- Hands-on and support cross teams: Hardware and system team / Test team and aircraft integration
- Hardware in the loop design and verification
- Design and implementation of a rapid prototype using dSPACE products
- Implementation of automatized test benches using, HIL, Python, Excel
- Highly experienced in MATLAB coding, Simulink, Target link, Embedded code environment
- Troubleshooting test benches and equipment, analogue, digital, high-speed communication
- Excellent ability and skills with CAN buses, RS232, Ethernet
- Troubleshooting Software (Code C) with code compose
- Experienced in high fidelity plant models (motor, inverter, etc)
- Experienced in feedback and feedforward control design
- Experienced in designing FOC, Fault handling, SVPWM and state machine etc
- Experienced in creating design optimisation algorithms
- Experienced in performing stability analysis
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company in the aviation industry, we need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity.
Pay Transparency Statement
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $175,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations