Job Opening: Midwest Regional Field Organizer
Location: Remote in the Midwest Region of the U.S. (Must be located in IA, IL, MI, MN, or WI)
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Midwest Regional Field Organizer (MRFO). The MRFO will work to build coalitions, expand impact, and mobilize labor and environmental partners to support BGA’s federal legislative priorities. The MRFO will work with BGA’s legislative, field, and communications staff to design and augment systems to engage BGA partners and allies. The MRFO will mobilize grasstops leaders, engage in grassroots activities, and demonstrate support for BGA priorities, including manufacturing and infrastructure investment. The MRFO reports to the Executive Vice President and works closely with the Regional Field Organizer team. This is a remote position based in the Midwest region of the U.S. Candidate must reside in Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, or Wisconsin and be available for regular regional travel.
The BGA is a powerful and unified voice for building an economy that addresses climate change, protects the health of people and the environment, eliminates income and racial disparities, and creates and maintains good-paying, union jobs in communities across the country. BGA brings together labor unions and environmental organizations—representing millions of members and supporters—around a shared agenda and enacts change by advocating at the state and federal level; providing education and engaging union members and environmentalists; and communicating the benefits of this shared agenda for working people, their families, and their communities.
The MRFO will:
• Develop and implement an organizing plan in the Midwest to engage labor and environmental grasstops leaders in support of BGA’s federal policy initiatives;
• Identify targets and develop grasstops and grassroots strategies in support of BGA federal goals;
• Create media-oriented organizing activities and plan events;
• Nurture relationships with and engage labor and environmental grasstops leaders in each state;
• Mobilize around and demonstrate support for BGA’s federal legislative priorities;
• Broaden the grasstops network in Midwestern states;
• Work with in-state and other BGA staff to advance BGA state or regional policy priorities, as opportunities and capacity allow;
• Manage database of grasstops supporters for these states, with frequent reporting required.
• Five or more years of experience in community, political, or policy organizing on issues campaigns; or a combination of related education and experience to exceed five years;
• Three or more years of experience working collaboratively on issues related to climate change, renewable energy, clean transportation, trade, and/or labor issues;
• Demonstrated success in building coalitions across a variety of stakeholders;
• Experience with Microsoft Office, including experience with position-specific technologies;
• Able to travel regularly across the Midwest region, about 30% time.
• Familiarity with Midwest political landscape;
• Experience advancing policy in the Midwest region;
• Experience working within or around the labor movement.
Skills and Abilities
• Strong analytic and strategic-thinking skills, with the ability to create and implement organizing plans;
• Strong skills in developing mutually respectful, trusting, and effective internal and external relationships; exhibit a positive and respectful manner with colleagues, partners, and allies;
• Self‐starter, highly motivated, and detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple tasks;
• Ability to meet deadlines, plan efficiently, and manage competing priorities;
• High ethical standards, sound judgment, and ability to maintain confidentiality;
• Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders within and outside of the organization, to include exceptional writing, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills;
• Strong commitment to economic, racial, and environmental justice; a deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
This position is represented by the United Steelworkers Local Union, 2002-22.
• Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee and family;
• Employer-paid Life, Short Term and Long Term Disability for employee;
• Cell phone reimbursement;
• 15 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 17 paid holidays to start;
• Access to health care and dependent care FSA accounts;
• 4% 401k Employer contribution.
Job Information: Salary range, $75,000-90,000 yearly, exempt. The position will be based in the Midwest and have 30% travel expectations.
How to Apply: Apply at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/d33784c1-2206-4056-841e-baf76e966c0d/BlueGreen-Alliance-Inc Position open until filled. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy and related conditions, sexual or gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.