The company is focused on hydrogen-electric propulsion solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting a 300-mile range in 9–19 seat aircraft by 2025, and up to 700-mile range in 40–80 seat aircraft by 2027. Based in the UK and USA, ZeroAvia has passed significant flight test milestones, secured a number of key partnerships with major aircraft OEMs and major global airlines, and is on track for commercial operations in 2025. The company’s achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without climate-impacting emissions but also cheaper to operate. The company’s hydrogen infrastructure team is seeking to deliver the hydrogen production and refuelling ecosystem required to fuel the transition to emission-free aviation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Input into the design and analysis of Hydrogen storage and distribution systems onboard zero emission aircraft.
- Work closely with suppliers and partners to ensure development and on-time delivery
of specified tank storage, cryogenic fluid transfer, Hydrogen gas conditioning sub system / components
- Strategise in house testing capabilities versus outsourcing
- Apply knowledge and understanding of PSSR/PED regulations/guidance, ASME B31.3 section VIII, and industry best practice into the project requirements, into supplier interactions and provide methods for showing compliance to certification standards and validation and verification requirements.
- Assist with the Hydrogen fuel system layout, component placement and packaging design.
- Functional and safety analysis of the different fuel system architectures.
- Analyse, verify, and validate performance of hardware and software components (where applicable) in a hydrogen fuel system in aerospace applications.
- Support the development of validation and verification plans of the fuel system for
regulatory compliance (DO-160, DO-178, DO-254, and EASA/CAA).
- Lead the execution of developed validation and verification plans.
- Provide input to the develop and maintain P&IDs, drawings, diagrams and Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for hydrogen fuel system components and subsystems
- Support planning and execution of air-vehicle-level integration and tests.
- Planning and execution of verification testing, producing test procedures, work control documentation (method statements, risk assessments) from component to sub-system, system level through project lifecycle
- Testing data analysis and producing reports.
- Initiating corrective actions based on test results.
- Work on trade studies and interface definitions.
Exercise critical thinking and innovative problem solving and simulations
- In depth knowledge of gas system design, and practical experience in using compressed gas systems (i.e. industrial compressed gasses, like oxygen, nitrogen, etc) including in depth knowledge of hydrogen safety and compressed gas system safety requirements
- Experience in specifying, verification and testing of gaseous compressed hydrogen
fuel system components and cryogenic storage and supply systems.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in Pneumatic / hydraulic pressure testing, leak detection methods including helium leak detection
- Understanding of Vacuum system architecture and test, validation (leak checking, outgassing assessment)
- Cryogenics knowledge and or experience, especially in liquid hydrogen and cryogen safety requirements (prevention of asphyxiation and explosive atmospheres (ATEX, DSEAR)
- Basic understanding of fuel cells, fuel cell systems and major components
- Accredited Mechanical, Electrical or Mechatronics qualification.
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics, thermodynamics and gas dynamics.
- Basic knowledge of layout and requirements for hydrogen storage systems for Fuel
- Working knowledge in developing/applying system safety analysis methods such as
System Safety Risk Assessments, Fault-tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard
Assessment (FHA) Safety Assessment Report (SAR) Failure Mode Effects and
Criticality Analysis (FMEA/FMECA).
- Experience in development and layout of hydrogen storage and supply systems for
fuel cell vehicles or other mobile applications (fuel cell buses, fuel cell trucks,
aircraft, ships, etc)
- Aerospace experience with regards to certification, air worthiness and standards
- Experience in Engineering Simulation Software (ANSYS, MATLAB Simulink,
- Experience in using CAD design software (Solidworks)
- Private Healthcare Plan
- Pension Plans
- Life Assurance
- Leave Package
- Stock Option Plan
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status