ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 6 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2024. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate.
We are seeking a Fuel Cell Engineer at ZeroAvia who will play a crucial role in designing, developing, and optimizing hydrogen fuel cell systems for our innovative aviation solutions. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers to drive the advancement of hydrogen-electric propulsion technology, contributing to the realization of clean and sustainable aviation.
- Design and analysis of Powertrain- Fuel Cell systems and/or Production Systems
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to 14 CFR 25.1309
- System safety assessment, Fault Hazard Analysis and Single & Multiple Failure Analysis
- Development Assurance and experience with ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Operational and Functional Analysis applied to the development of Fuel Cell and Electric Propulsion products and systems
- Analyze, verify, and validate performance of hardware and software components in a space system
- Support the validation and verification plans execution for DO-178, DO-254, and EASA/CAA regulatory compliance
- Develop use cases and sequence diagrams
- Develop and maintain Interface Control Documents (ICDs) for complex aerospace and ground architectures
- Support planning for and execution of subsystem and vehicle-level integration and test campaign
- Work with customers, ZeroAvia leadership, and software & systems engineers to translate high level customer requirements into specific work packages and detailed hardware & software requirements
- Exercise critical thinking and innovative problem solving
- Support new business pursuits including white papers and proposals
- Mentor and coach junior engineers
- Work on trade studies, and requirements/interface definitions.
Experience and Qualifications
- Systems engineering, familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering and/or proficient developing models
- Working knowledge and experience developing/applying aviation related system safety analysis methods such as System Safety Risk Assessments, Fault-tree Analysis (FTA), Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA) and Safety Assessment Report (SAR)
- Experience in systems engineering involving system requirements, functional decomposition and allocation, integrated design, analysis and evaluation, verification
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements and methods for showing compliance to 14 CFR 25.1309
- Experience in system safety assessment, Fault Hazard Analysis and Single & Multiple Failure Analysis.
- Experience and Knowledge of Development Assurance and ARP4754A and AC20-174
- Proficient in requirements development for aerospace systems and hardware
- Lead and oversee execution of efforts to include planning, scoping, development, testing, analysis, implementation, schedule and reporting
- Experience in development program and standing up new production systems, activating factories, and defining key requirements for successful manufacturing execution
- Experience in developing technical requirements for a development program
- Experience in CONOPS development
- Experience in systems engineering involving system requirements
Diversity and Inclusion
As a young company in the aviation industry, we need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity.
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $90,000 - $120,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
- The Fly Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations