The company is focused on hydrogen-electric propulsion solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting a 300-mile range in 9–19 seat aircraft by 2025, and up to 700-mile range in 40–80 seat aircraft by 2027. Based in the UK and USA, ZeroAvia has passed significant flight test milestones, secured a number of key partnerships with major aircraft OEMs and major global airlines, and is on track for commercial operations in 2025. The company’s achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without climate-impacting emissions but also cheaper to operate. The company’s hydrogen infrastructure team is seeking to deliver the hydrogen production and refuelling ecosystem required to fuel the transition to emission-free aviation.
As a ZeroAvia Lead Flight Test Engineer (FTE), you will support the flight test department in the application of their duties and be responsible for planning, execution, and reporting of UK test and demonstration flights of hydrogen-powered fixed wing aircraft. Working closely with the design office, maintenance team, and test pilots you will be expected to support the test and evaluation of hydrogen-electric powertrains as per the company’s Flight Test Operations Manual (FTOM).
- Maintain a close relationship with the Design Office (DO) and ensure close co-operation with key staff. Participating in design reviews and technical safety reviews.
- Develop certification plans in relation to flight test requirements.
- Planning and flying test flights as Lead FTE. Develop test strategies, test plans and procedures.
- Reporting on flight test activities
- Be responsible for maintaining the highest professional standards during the conduct of experimental, development and demonstration flight test activity.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and foster open and trusted relationships with key staff at the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
- Supporting ground tests as test conductor, participating in simulator evaluations.
- On occasion support flight test activity or certification (e.g. ground test, system test activities) at other ZeroAvia sites around the UK and US.
- Drafting flight manual, design office and operational guidance and manuals
Personal Skills/ Abilities
- Strong focus on aviation safety and compliance
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Customer focus
Educational/Vocational Qualifications and Experience
- Have significant experience of complex flight testing of aircraft handling, performance and powerplant modifications sufficient to demonstrate competence as a Lead FTE as defined in Part 21J.
- At least 5 years of experience as an experimental/developmental FTE in powertrain development, handling qualities or aircraft performance.
- Class 2 Aviation medical - UK CAA or equivalent
- Graduate of recognized Flight Test Engineer program (an FTE graduate of a recognised test pilot school (e.g. ETPS, NTPS, ITPS etc.)
- Have held authorisation from a competent organisation as a Cat 1 lead FTE
- Flight CVE holder with a CAA DOA or previous experience as a CVE
- Chartered Engineer
- Flight operations management system practices and principles
- Strong domain knowledge of customer operational requirements and customer platform capabilities
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.