Are you a talented Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) professional looking to protect lives while fighting climate change?
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Heirloom is looking for an EHS specialist to support our mission of removing 1 billion tons of CO2 from the atmosphere via our Direct Air Capture (DAC) process. This is a super exciting opportunity to help lead the Environmental Health & Safety efforts for a true DAC industry pioneer from construction and commissioning, to operation. In this role, you will work with a motivated and passionate team developing the construction and site specific safety procedures required to make our mission a success. Your primary focus will be on human health and safety while also upholding operational performance as key drivers of our mission.You’ll be a key champion in driving people and environmental safety throughout the organization and with our third party partners.
We're currently on the lookout for an experienced construction safety professional or a degreed early-career safety professional who's ready to take on an exciting new opportunity. No matter what career path you’ve taken to date, you'll have gained valuable experience working hands-on with engineering, research, and/or deployment teams to put safeguards in place to mitigate risks. Your in depth knowledge of OSHA 1926 has equipped you to build a focus on human health and safety into a culture of operational excellence and optimal performance. And your deep knowledge and experience with project management, risk analysis, incident management, and electrical safety (e.g. lockout tagout) will help you get the team on board to achieve our safety goals through standardized and repeatable processes.
Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
Maximize our learning rate means we're always in discovery mode. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why you should join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from a variety of backgrounds and experiences who are pooling our knowledge and skills to collectively build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Generous stock options. We're building a leading company in what will be a truly massive space. Share in that success.
- Flexible time off. Flexible PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 120 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Health, dental and vision. The benefits you need to keep you and your family covered.
- 401(k). Save pre-tax dollars toward retirement.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
$130,000 - $170,000 a year
Base salary for this role will range from $130,000 to $170,000 depending on level and experience.