ZeroAvia is the leader in zero-emission solutions for commercial aviation, helping the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight.
The company is focused on hydrogen-electric propulsion solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting a 300-mile range in 9–19 seat aircraft by 2025, and up to 700-mile range in 40–80 seat aircraft by 2027. Based in the UK and USA, ZeroAvia has passed significant flight test milestones, secured a number of key partnerships with major aircraft OEMs and major global airlines, and is on track for commercial operations in 2025. The company’s achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without climate impacting emissions, but also cheaper to operate. The company’s hydrogen infrastructure team is seeking to deliver the hydrogen production and refuelling ecosystem required to fuel the transition to emission-free aviation.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Principal Motor Design Engineer to join our innovative team.
As a Principal Motor Design Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in the design and development of advanced electric motors for our zero-emission aviation solutions. Your expertise in motor design, analysis, and optimization will be instrumental in driving the future of sustainable aviation and ensuring the success of our revolutionary electric propulsion systems.
- Motor Design and Development: Lead the end-to-end design and development process of high-performance electric motors for aviation applications, from initial concept to production, ensuring compliance with stringent performance, safety, and regulatory requirements.
- Technical Leadership: Provide technical leadership and guidance to a team of motor design engineers, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and excellence in motor design and optimization.
- Design Optimization: Utilize advanced computational tools, simulation software, and analytical techniques to conduct detailed analysis and optimization of motor designs, maximizing performance, efficiency, and power density while minimizing weight, losses, and thermal effects.
- Research and Innovation: Stay at the forefront of motor design advancements and emerging technologies, contributing to the development of new design methodologies, materials, and technologies that will enhance motor performance and reliability.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including electrical, mechanical, and aerodynamics engineers, to integrate motor systems seamlessly into our aviation platforms, considering factors such as system integration, electromagnetic compatibility, and operational safety.
- Testing and Validation: Define comprehensive motor testing and validation plans, ensuring compliance with aviation industry standards and regulations, and work closely with test engineers to execute tests, analyze results, and validate motor performance and reliability.
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare thorough design documentation, technical reports, and presentations to effectively communicate design concepts, analyses, test results, and recommendations to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Quality Assurance: Ensure adherence to rigorous quality standards throughout the motor design and development process, collaborating with quality assurance teams to implement effective processes, controls, and inspections.
- Project Management: Manage motor design projects, including scheduling, resource allocation, and progress tracking, while effectively communicating project status and milestones to key stakeholders.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
- Extensive experience (8+ years) in electric motor design and development, preferably in aviation or aerospace applications.
- Deep understanding of motor design principles, electromagnetic theory, and analytical techniques, with a track record of successful motor designs.
- Proficiency in motor design software tools, such as ANSYS Maxwell, JMAG, or similar.
- Experience in motor manufacturing processes and technologies, including winding techniques, rotor fabrication, and motor assembly.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and the capability to analyze and resolve complex technical challenges.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills, with a proven ability to mentor and guide junior engineers.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, enabling effective conveyance of complex technical concepts to diverse audiences.
- Experience using Ansys tools, such as Motor-CAD, Maxwell, Fluent, and Ansys Mechanical, for electric machine design and analysis is preferred, but expertise with other simulation tools for electromagnetic, thermal, mechanical, or system analysis is also accepted
- Experience on Electromagnetics, Thermal, structural statics/dynamics, material science applied to motors application.
- Experience of electric propulsion high power (High Torque – High Speed) motor design.
- Experience of optimization methods and software.
- Experience of Electrical, thermal, and mechanical analysis.
- Experience with motor control and power electronics.
- Proficient on Ansys tools suite/Matlab/Solid works
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) with Fluent
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity.
We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $130,000 - $180,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
- The Fly Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations